Saturday, June 25, 2016

Adventures of Joe Gray: Ninjas in the Backyard

Ninjas were all around me. From all sides they crept over the horse fence and through the trees wearing all black and looking to kill. I had only my trusty hockey stick, long past its hockey days, as my weapon of choice. Its curved end acting like an outstretched cleaver ready to dismantle any would-be assassin.

I took a readied stance as they surrounded me. At once they clambered in at me. I swiped down with a mighty blow taking out the first at the shoulder. Then I moved seamlessly between foes striking with unpredictable fluidity and accuracy. To the left I struck one in the side, nearly cleaving him in half. Then, in an instant, I swung behind striking sideways at another. Feeling overwhelmed I swung my stick in a 360 arc around my body taking out evil assassin after evil assassin in a wave of fury and poise.

They backed off for a second allowing me to catch my breath. But then they came at me again. This time I moved around the field forcing them to follow instead of lead. As I slayed one ahead of me with a head splitting swish I rolled and turned to strike the one approaching from behind, catching him off guard from a low position. I looked up and saw that they had stopped the advance. They were backing away. Standing in premature triumph I heard the thud of an unseen giant's steps.

Through the trees I saw its face. Covered in an ornate ancient samurai helm it grinned unrelentingly at me. 10 feet tall and with a sword 6 feet long it began to run. The monster bore down on me like a bull but I stood my ground. As it approached the red and blue of its armor shown brighter and brighter until soon it was right on me. At the last second I rolled between its legs and turned striking down on its back with the sharp end of my stick. It sunk deep in its back. The giant stood for a moment and then collapsed with a roar and a gasp. I turned around to see the backs of my enemies scattering back into the trees, doubtfully for the last time.

Dinner would be soon and it was beginning to get cold. I roamed around the edge of the tree line smacking my stick into anything that might break. Foxglove was always easy to take out but small branches were fun too. I spun my hockey stick around a bit. I looked at the business end seeing that it was becoming damaged more and more but no matter as I wasn't going to be playing hockey out here in the middle of nowhere anyway. I wondered if mom and dad were going to fight again that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment