Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Living in the moment:Some thoughts

To me living in the moment is very difficult. I am constantly interjecting stimulus into an otherwise quiet moment. I turn on the TV before I get my coffee. I turn on podcats, music or audiobooks when I walk, work and drive. I watch youtube on my lunch and play games while I use the bathroom. But in those moments when I am not injecting entertainment I try to remember that the present moment is real and it might actually matter.
Remembering the moment means slowing down and trying to understand the thoughts that arise. It means not planning the next words to speak, tasks to complete or previous experiences. It means listening to the environment and reacting without pretense or script. This is very difficult when most of my activities are habitual and have become automatic.
One thing I try to do is recognize the moment and reset my thougts. Breathing and listening seem to be good ways to do this. Asking myself, "how do I feel right now" or "am I sad, why am I sad?" Or asking questions about my environment and the people around me. "Who is this person, what are they trying to say, and how do they feel?" By trying to see things from another's perspective you can take yourself out of the tendency to be self conscious and unempathetic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment