Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Podcasting Guide: H4N Settings

These are the current H4N settings I use to have maximum quality and control in post production. I have changed settings here and there over time but this works great for me right now. Feel free to experiment and find what works for you. Any settings not listed below are not changed.

1. Input Settings
- Lo Cut = All Off
- Comp/Limit = All Off
- Monitor = On (This allows you to monitor with a headset before hitting the record button)
- 1/2 Link = Off (This allows you to adjust mic strength for each channel independently)
- Level Auto = Off (I recommend not allowing the H4N to control the mic input strength because it may do it mid episode and audio levels will not be consistent)
- Mono Mix = Off (This setting allows you to separate channels in post for more precise editing)
- MS Matrix = NA
- Phantom = Off (If your mic requires phantom power turn this on)
- Plug-In = Off

2. Record Settings
- Rec Format = WAV44.1kHz/16Bit (This creates a WAV file which is higher quality than MP3 but it takes up more storage. If you want to save space consider the MP3 formats but keep in mind the lower the quality recording the worse it can sound after post production)
- Auto Rec = Off
- Pre Rec = Off
- File Name = Default

3. Mode Select = Stereo

Other notes:

4. Power = I like using the AC Adapter when doing important recordings because I would hate to run out of battery and lose anything. I leave AA's in the H4N for backup but I change them out if they run low. If you leave the system with no power it will reset the Date/Time to default making it hard to manage files.

5. If your using XLR cables make sure to select the correct input on the face of the H4N or it will default to the internal mic. It should highlight the 1 and 2 buttons on the left side of the face. The internal mic works very well but will pick up more sounds from the environment than a Dynamic microphone.


Links:

My H4N Settings YouTube Supplement

My Podcasting Setup YouTube Supplement

Startup Guide

Buying Guide

My Podcasts:









No comments:

Post a Comment