Saturday, December 31, 2016

Bar Hopping in Montavilla

12/30/2016

Today I woke up around noon. I watched TV for a bit. Netflix added a season of Comedy Bang Bang. Then I read a few chapters of my friend Channing's new book "Hell Came With Her." I'm almost finished. Then I took a nap for about an hour. My brother came home and he invited me to get a drink with him and his friend Sebastian.

We took a bus to the Montavilla area where we started at the bar Vintage. It was an upscale place and the drinks were expensive. Seemed like a place where if you ordered a "bud" they would be annoyed and scoff. The atmosphere was dark and moody. We were a little early for happy hour so we waited until the bartender decided waiting was unnecessary. I ordered something with a distinctly spicy flavor that made it a chore to drink. My brother got the same drink and Sebastian had something with Absinthe. We talked about guns, motorcycle accidents, drug experiences and such.

Then we went to a bar called Thatchers with a generally unfriendly server. We had food and drank beer and talked about technology, government and life. Next it was Beer Bunker. Another hip bar that only served micro brews from nearby breweries. Really cool place where you could order a "goblet" of ale. We sat and talked about our religious backgrounds, my brother's experience with his first child and a slew of other great topics. You had to be there. I suppose I could write more eloquently about the evening and regale you with a synopsis of our clever banter but I am tired.

Then we took a Lyft home. The driver had a slight lisp but a very nice guy. I played a couple levels of a video game with my nephew and watched more Comedy Bang Bang before settling in to write this in an attempt to get it posted before the date changed. I didn't make it. It was a very relaxed day full of enjoyable company and conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment