Thursday, December 29, 2016

I Officially Live in Portland

12/29/2016
In the past four months I have done a few new things.

I quit my job and moved to Portland.

I started looking for a part time job but soon found that my only skill set is in retail and I was trying to get out of retail. I applied at a few places. I got interviewed to work at the airport for Pendleton Woolen Mills. Never heard back.

I hoped that I would get a security deposit back so when my previous land lord sent me a bill for $5 I was shocked. I had been a great tenant for over 3 years. Paid my rent almost always early. My friend built a counter with a drawer in the kitchen. I cleaned up before I moved. Even under the fridge. The place was tiny and shitty but I liked it.

So, then I accused them of negligent accounting because on the first page of the rental agreement the pet fee was under the refundable column. The problem was I neglected to notice the next page that had the actual pet agreement and it dictated that the fee for the pet was a "fee" and not a security deposit. I wasn't entitled to it. They informed me of my mistake and since then I've left it alone.

I applied for unemployment but it turns out if you quit they make it very difficult to get money that is technically called "unemployment insurance." I figured that since I've been paying into it, that it would be reasonable to get some of it back for the very reason that it exists. But it isn't the same as personal insurance. It isn't a savings fund, which is something I should have invested in instead. Well, I did save a bit. I moved with about $3000 saved. Now that I see it, it is isn't such a small bit of money. But it, along with my furniture and appliances was all I had.

I got an interview with the zoo but since they get funds from the federal government they do drug tests, presumably on the spot. The lady asked if we were "ready to go" with the drug test and background check and I said, "Sorry, I'm not gunna pass a drug test." Shook her hand and walked out. I took a picture of a goat.

Then I got an interview with the local school district as a tutor. A serious ass tutor. Did not get that job. But they said I interviewed well. Not well enough. Aye?

Then there was a freeze. A near 48 hour power outage. Very fun. I recommend it. After that amount of time it becomes disgusting. No hot water, no garbage disposal, no garbage pickup...etc.

 I got my first payment for video work. I was a camera operator and boom operator (first time as well) for a friend of my brother's who is starting a media company.

Just started work for a retail place back at the bottom. It is interesting to start over at a new store and attempt to learn something that is both familiar and unknown.

I did my first photo shoot for a client. Just turned in the photos for that yesterday. Pro-bono work for my brother's friend. Pretty cool.


I smoked exactly one pack of cigarettes. I made a few videos for my YouTube channel, which is fun for me. My brother and I have a name, business plan and marketing schemes. We are making connections and plan on starting the LLC officially on Jan 1st. We plan on hitting the road running similar to that of road runners.

I've been able to spend time with my family. My family is wonderful here. My brother's family is amazing. My mom and sister are great. My sister's baby is incredible. Other than the mounting anxiety, about starting a business, making money, being independent, getting a girlfriend, and general existential angst, I feel good. I miss my friends but we have kept in touch.

I officially live in Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment